Thursday, March 20, 2008

comparative reality.

Last night Rob and I watched "Margot at the Wedding", which is the new movie from Noah Baumbach, who also did "The Squid and the Whale". I did not remember the connection, and when Rob realized it as he was about to put the movie in, he commented that I had hated "The Squid and the Whale". I didn't remember hating it and, although I found it rather depressing, if asked I probably would have said that I thought it was a good movie.

The reason I bring this up is that it is very strange when you have two people contributing to a collective memory, because in ways you hold each other accountable for your exaggerated reactions to things. Of course, in your own head, these are tempered by time and you don't remember being so drastic in the first place. I think that's what happened last night. It's certainly a head-fuck to be told that the way you think about something is not how you thought you think about it, or at least it wasn't. This is a slippery sucker.

3 comments:

Will said...

TSATW RULES!!!

Snezan said...

i really like your posts... i can see you in a log cabin in some dark corner of russia, round glasses on the bridge of your nose, scribbling in a notebook. it's pretty.

RB said...

"Everyone's telling the truth, but the stories still don't add up." -Ani Difranco