Monday, March 2, 2009

doppelsübmission

Apparently I tapped into something pretty intense in my friend Corey with this blog. Last week I received this doppelsübmission from him:

funny pictures
moar funny pictures

Although I can see a vague resemblance, I don't really think the Sun Maid is my doppelgänger, especially given that she is a cartoon character created to shill raisins. Nonetheless, I appreciate the heads up. We should all be on guard for any and all possibilities of doppelgängers. It could be that while the Sun Maid herself is not one, she may be based on a doppelgänger of mine that is acquainted with someone in the SunMaid advertising department! Another lesson that we should take from this is that it can very difficult to spot your own dopp; lacking objectivity about your own appearance can cause you to focus on differences, not resemblances, and this could put you in danger. It is good to have friends who are on constant alert for your dops. You should have their backs as well.

Also, despite my questioning of Corey's first submission, I truly admire his commitment to the doppelcause. I'd like to share an excerpt from his e-mail to me:

"Clearly your work is an important first step, but there are so many out there undiscovered. Additionally, there are fundamental questions whose answers elude us. Are we all dopplegangers? Do tracing dopplegangers teach us about our beginnings?...I will make regular submissions. Is it possible that the CIA is also dopplestudying? The environment is taxed, nations are bankrupt and food is scarce. In order to simultaneously survive and maintain genetic diversity we need to eliminate redundity. Only one among a doppleset is doppleworthy and the other(s) is just a drag. So the government has to pick one dopplesurvivor and then allow the rest to doppledie. We need to identify our dopplegangers and be more worthy than them before they get us. But I fear some will choose the doppledarkside and resort to murder to eliminate their doppletition."

These are questions that I urge to you all consider today.

No comments: