Wednesday, January 30, 2008

that's it.

The latest outrage:



Are you fucking kidding me?!

I've ranted about this sort of thing before. A previous outrage was when I noticed that both of my parents' new cars had a feature where instead of actually turning the key in the ignition, one merely inserts the key into a slot and then pushes a "start" button.

I thought, "How can anyone in good conscience support this technology?" It takes away one of the best parts of driving. You put the key in, you turn it, and feel the engine turn over; it's so satisfying. Feeling the ridges of the key slide into the ignition, the smooth grind of metal friction, the flick of your wrist that sends your key chain clacking against the console as you hear that low rumble, feel the vibrations through your fingers, up your arms, and into your whole body as the car comes alive underneath you.

I wasn't surprised though. People see new technology such as this and they think it's "neat". Their inherent laziness delights in anything that removes them from a manual process. I'm sure people love this sort of thing.

But THIS bullshit! A car that parks itself?! If you're not going to know how to parallell park your car and you're going to let your car do it by itself, you might as well give up. Let the robots take over, and let them rape your wife. You're done.

1 comment:

RB said...

Fuck a car that parks itself, I want a car that stands in line at the DMV for me. Now that would be hot!